5.07.2011

My Personal Music-Learning Process

I have recently gone through this as I'm learning accompaniment music for a voice recital....

New music. One of two reactions:
1. Uhh, I don't think I can play this...
2. Pfff! A ten-year-old could play this!
  Sit down. First run-through. 
Depending on difficulty, a "yuck!" or "whoo-hoo!"
reaction ensues.
  Second run-through. Since the average difficulty
level of my music is hard,
FRUSTRATION. POUND THE PIANO. 
ACTUALLY, NO, DON'T POUND THE
PIANO.
  3rd run-through. 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th....and on to infinity.
Well, maybe not quite.
  Violent inclinations ensue. RIP. BURN. BLOW UP.
BURY. No funeral either.
  Finally, violent inclinations slowly ebb.
Polish. Re-polish. Almost memorized. Done.

I'm not at all dramatic, am I?

1 comment:

Cati said...

This- I totally understand! :)
I've had my fair share of ALL of these reactions over the years!