7.20.2011

I have returned...wise in the ways of the kitchen


Yes, I'm back.

I haven't blogged for TEN DAYS.

Perhaps it was because I was exhausted from two weeks of camp. Or maybe it was because I just didn't feel like it. But it doesn't matter. Because here I am.

This past week, I had the novel experience of working in a camp kitchen. For a full week. Approximately 10 hours a day. Needless to say, it was tiring. My feet were killing me by the end of each day. My fingers were pruny from washing mountains of dishes. My shoulder was completely messed up from tugging, lifting and pulling on all different things. And I had developed a deep hatred for wet dishtowels.

But, though it was hard, I did have fun. There were plenty of those silly moments....like when a camp counselor was skating across the freshly-mopped floor in her snow boots....and I was washing a dish cart with a bucket of sanitizer water in my hand.....and she slid a bit further than she expected....and I screamed because I knew in that split second I couldn't move in time...there was a large splash....needless to say, I -and the floor- were thoroughly sanitized and I almost died laughing.

There were also some rather dismaying moments as well....such as when I bumped a container of congealed pork juice (*gag*) off the shelf in the walk-in cooler and it splattered on the floor....or when one of the girls working in "dish pit" with me soaked one of my sneakers with the sprayer...accidentally. At least, I think it was accidentally. Or when one of the girls in my cabin decided to string a hammock up between two bunk beds....which was fine until more than one person got in it....and one of the heavy bunk beds began to tip....and I screamed because I was on top of my bunk bed and I couldn't do anything to help (I did a lot of screaming that week)....thankfully, the bunk caught on the wall and didn't tip completely over, but one of the girls hurt her shoulder in the process of catching it.

So,  I would definitely say that the experience was slightly stressful and exhausting, but also that it was a huge character-building experience and I will consider doing it again next year. Maybe by that time I will have a higher toleration of those repulsive wet dish towels.

1 comment:

SheDan said...

Wow! What an eventful week.

Thanks for the congrats. Honeymoon and wedding both were perfect!