10.08.2011

Lavender Chili


+


Have you ever tried lavender chili? You know, chili - that yummy hamburger, tomato sauce and beans dish....but with a touch of lavender?

Okay, I'm kidding. I'm pretty sure you haven't. If you have, let me know. I'd like to meet you.

There really is a valid reason I'm talking about this. The other day, I made and ate lavender chili. I have to make some confessions about it. 1.) It was completely accidental, and 2.), It was rather sickening.

This is what happened (I will file this under my "Kitchen Disasters", of which there are more than I care to discuss):

I was going to heat up some left-over chili in a pan. The pan was dirty, so I washed it. I put the chili in the said pan, fired up the stove, and placed the pan on a burner. So far so good, right? Right, until I began to notice a rather unpleasant smell that seemed to be coming from the chili. It smelled like chili...but different. It smelled...soapy. With a terrible feeling of impending doom, I tasted the chili. (I burned my tongue, but that is beside the point.) It tasted terrible. Like soap. Like lavender soap. With a little chili mixed in. Hoping wildly that it was just my imagination, I took another taste. It was no use. In fact, I immediately wished that I had trusted my first taste.


Needless to say, I had to dump it. Thankfully, there was still some chili left. I heated it up in a different pan, and it was fine. I didn't eat any though. The taste of the lavender chili lingered in my mouth and I wasn't quite ready to risk another bite....


Chili pepper pic credit: Cliff Hutson (chilis de arbol) [CC-BY-2.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Lavender pic credit: Booksworm (Own work) [GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

RJ said...

LOL! I'm dying laughing. :D Yeah, I made five batches of pancakes in one sitting awhile ago. And each time they didn't turn out. Why? Well because, I had used baking soda rather then baking powder. Sigh. I can be such a silly goose sometimes. :)