11.07.2011

The Beauty of Hand-Written Letters


Do you write letters? Do you know anybody who writes letters? If you do, I bet you could count them on one hand. (Thank-you notes don't count. Dear [fill in the blank], thank you for my present. It was nice. But I really wish that you'd just send money next time. Don't even get me started.)

What on earth did humanity do without email? Cellphones? Twitter? Facebook? I'll tell you because I know that if I don't, you'll burst from curiosity. They wrote letters. On real paper. With a real pen. Hee hee. Surprised you, didn't I? You were expecting me to say that they wrote in the dirt with a stick, right?

Okay, I'll be serious now. There's just something so personal about hand-written letters. Somehow, How are you? or I love you or I miss you or Thank you written in ink looks so much better than how r u? or  i luv u or i miss u or thanx typed on a screen.


And it's so fun to go out to the mailbox, expecting the usual mix of junk mail, money-askers, ads, and bills...and find a real letter, just for you.


Now, don't get me wrong here. I like computers and cellphones just as much as the next person. But it wouldn't kill us to put on the brakes once in a while, sit down, and write a quick note. Try it sometime. You might find out that you really like it. Maybe you'll find out that it's fun. Therapeutic. Hey, you never know till you try. 

No comments: