2.26.2013

The Nanny Diaries: upside down worlds and Spidey's problem


I am convinced that being a nanny is one of the best jobs in the whole world. It is the only job where you can lay on your back on the carpet with a 4-year-old and imagine what it would be like to live in an upside down world. We discussed it and decided that clouds would be our primary transport, and there would be worm rain warnings because the sky would be of grass. Muddy with a chance of earthworms, the weather forecast would say.


Hazelnut coffee is a very good thing to have on a Monday morning. If you like that sort of thing, that is. I do. With a little cream and a good book. That, to me, is a form of perfect bliss.


Gum is a rather exciting event in a 4-year-old's life. Especially when it is purple. And fruity. And purple. I said purple twice, because it is typically a favored color among the general population of little girls, and therefore, exciting.


This is also helpful on a Monday. Vitamin Water, tropical citrus flavor. AKA, energy. I am watching Spiderman 2 right now and it occurred to me that Spiderman should definitely try drinking vitamin water. I think that his inability to produce web strands at some points in the movie is partly due to vitamin deficiency. I mean, I know there's some other minor issues he's dealing with like mental turmoil and sleeplessness, but vitamin deficiency was definitely the main issue.

Also, I need to get something off my chest. I despise Mary Jane. I really do. She compulsively screams her head off, dates around, breaks Peter's heart, leaves a poor guy at the altar, and still gets Spiderman at the end. Please explain to me how that works.

3 comments:

Marlene E. said...

I was thinking about this post last night after I read it, and I came to the conclusion that... that, well, I want to be a nanny. Contemplating upside down worlds with a four-year-old sounds like such a lovely idea.

Go nanny Celia!

Papa T said...

I agree with you about the hazelnut coffee (but no cream)and Mary Jane. Remember it is only a movie and take her as an example of the type of person NOT to be.

Josiah McArdle said...

Gum is a rather exciting event in my life too. Although it's mostly to keep from talking to myself when I walk in the parking lot for hours....